Top 4 Methods To Safeguard Your House From Electrical Failures.

In 2019 we are more dependent on electrical devices than we have ever been; phones, laptops, televisions, refrigerators and AC units (among others) have become a crucial part of life.

One thing that these devices need is obviously electricity which can be dangerous if the proper measures aren’t in place. A sudden inrush of electricity can lead to a power surge, this happens when the amount of voltage in our homes goes above the safe level. However there are ways to prevent damage to your homes electrics!

Invest in a good surge protector.

Before purchasing a surge protector it would be a good idea to do some research into the levels of voltage fluctuations that they can cover. The main purpose of a surge protector is to shut off the power when a dangerous amount of voltage is passing through it, it then grounds the excess electrical power.

Don’t attempt tricky electrical repairs on your own.

Although a lot of us would like to think we can complete electrical repairs in the home, a lot of the time the keen DIY-er’s are putting themselves and their home in harms way! There’s a reason it takes 3-5 years to become a fully qualified electrician, so before trying to fix your fuse board or even replace/add a socket, consult an electrician to get the best advice!

Keep all electronic devices away from water.

It’s common knowledge that liquid, mainly water, can cause electric shock when it comes into contact with electricity, however there’s an alarming amount of people who do not seem to know this basic fact. The smallest amount of water can have devastating impacts so make sure to keep any electrical devices out of reach of water.

Get an ECR before moving into a new property.

This is one of the best things you can do to safeguard yourself from electrical failures as an ECR checks the condition of the electrics. This simple check could potentially save your life as dodgy electrics can easily start fires and cause electrocution if people aren’t safe around it.

All in all, make sure you stay save when dealing with any kind of electrics in your home as one simple mistake could be fatal.