During home visits from British Gas engineers, over 25,000 dangerous and unsafe electrical devices were reported. The main bulk of these were older ovens and boilers.
To put that figure into perspective, it’s one in twenty homes visited by British Gas. An interesting survey was undertaken which asked “If a device sparked, would you still use it?” and the general answer was YES.
It was also noted that around two thirds of homeowners in the UK actively worry about how safe their electrical devices are, whilst almost half have had an electrical shock from at least one device in their home!
More than half of the people surveyed admitted that even though they are advised to check their electrical devices regularly – they don’t! Two thirds of the people who took the survey also admitted that if a device was faulty (Sparking, Smoking or overheating) they would still use it, the most common devices are laptops and lamps.
A good way to monitor and detect whether some of your devices are faulty is to get your hands on a smart meter! Not only will this help you save money but it can also help you identify possible electrical faults that some of your devices may have, 54% of participants were not aware that having a smart meter could have a positive impact on their gadgets and devices.
If you are ever in doubt about an electrical device one of the best things to do is go on the manufactures website, as they often have FAQ’s and some may have a live chat where you can speak to a representative for the company and ask them any questions you may have.
Of course, one more option would be to get in contact with us at HRHislop and ask us any questions you may have around electrical devices! We are always happy to help and point you in the right direction.
Call us now on 01249554750 for any advice, quotes or general enquiries!